are all comic book nerds really fuckin’ arrogant and uptight about their material? …Obviously the answer is probably “no,” but yesterday wasn’t setting out to break down stereotypes. Most people know I like anime, but I’ve kinda developed an interest in comic books after listening to/watching various podcasts and comic book movies. So, since there’s a comic book shop just down the street from where I work, I’ve been stopping in to see if the comics sparked interest. They did, but yesterday I stopped in and found volume 1 of “Thunderbolts” (I’m not quite sure how to describe this series, but my best explanation would be think “Avengers” but instead of moral ground heroes it’s a group of [now] anti-heroes-Red Hulk, Deadpool, Elektra, The Punisher, Mercy, The Leader, Venom-that are okay with killing people they deem scum. More or less. I’m diggin’ it, and maybe you’ll like it too) and was ready to check it out along with some comic covers to keep the stuff I already bought from being torn up in my mess of a room.
Now, the clerk stops me and points out that the covers I’m about to purchase are for comics from “the silver era of comics” and notes that they won’t fit properly on the current edition of comics. He apologized saying they had put those covers in the “current” bin as they were sold out of “current” covers and overstocked on “silver.” I thanked him for the correction, and went back to place the covers in the bin, but not before I hear this really smug ”Who mistakes Silver covers for the current ones?”
Then another voice answers “Well, do you see what he’s getting? I’m pretty sure it’s clear what sort of taste he’s got.”
They were probably going to keep going on, but I had headphones in at the time and when I turned around and pulled one ‘phone off they lowered their voices. I guess the irritating thing was what the people talking looked like. The first speaker, not trying to be mean but he looked like the sun had not touched him in years. Dude looked like a tall skinny twig that just avoided light altogether. His friend…not much better. I dunno, maybe I am in the wrong here and that was something I was supposed to realize sooner, but just the tone of voice these two had and how quick they were to hush up when I just looked in their direction kinda triggered something in me. Like, I have never felt such an impulse to punch someone who’s only guilty of lame insults, but for one brief moment I felt like I could understand why certain nerds get the shit kicked out of them.
- A: Are you a virgin?
- B: 3 biggest pet peeves
- C: Celebrity crush?
- D: If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be?
- E: Do you smoke?
- F: Do you drink?
- G: If you had to rank yourself on a scale of 1 to 10, what would you be?
- H: Longest relationship and with who?
- I: 5 turn ons
- J: 5 turn offs
- K: What's the biggest lie you have ever told?
- L: Would you ever date someone of another race?
- M: What is your sexual orientation?
- N: Top 5 traits you look for in a person that you want to have a relationship with
- O: Who are you crushing on right now?
- P: Who is your bestfriend?
- Q: Your guilty pleasure?
- R: Who was your first kiss?
- S: Do looks matter to you?
- T: What kind of underwear are you wearing?
- U: How big is your penis or for a girl, how big are your boobs
- V: How far have you gone?
- W: Do you like it when people play with your hair?
- X: Are you circumcised?
- Y: Do you name your private parts?
- Z: Do you pee in the shower?